Wednesday, May 05, 2010

The Silver Surfer vs... The Daleks!



Pen, black ink and wash, then I applied a blue filter in Photoshop. Galactus was entirely done in wash.

This was another commission for "Masterful" Michael Rooth: the Silver Surfer vs the Daleks! I decided to throw Galactus into the background, so I didn't have to paint lots of stars. And who doesn't love that big, purple, planet-eater?

Daleks aren't necessarily the most fun to draw - lots of straight lines, no expression, they're basically just tanks - but I had some fun throwing in a few different types. We've got a couple of Sixties Daleks, a seventies model, and a new-Who version, all in their trademark hoverbouts!

I'm not sure I would class this as an unqualified success - I wish I'd done more Daleks for one thing - but it was fun. And I LOVE drawing the Surfer!



D

9 comments:

Andy Luke said...

First!

The blue wash is great.

WJC said...

Awesome! And a superb Surfer!

Mark Kardwell said...

Tht is feckin'... GLORIOUS.

Dan McDaid said...

Thanks, fellas!

monkeyfeather said...

Oh man, someone needs to write a Silver Surfer comic for you RIGHT NOW!!!

laseraw said...

this looks great!
love those dalek platforms!
:)

Nathan Fairbairn said...

Wow! Too good!

Chad Bowers said...

Just found my desktop BG forevers!

Nice work, Mr. McDaid.

Dan McDaid said...

Cheers, guys!