Thursday, June 17, 2010

BOOM!

If there's one thing I love drawing, it's explosions.



This is from that secret project which I'm working on for SPOILER Oni Press. I drew it (and the other five pages I've done for this instalment) on the worst paper I could find: real thin, coarse rubbish, three pounds per pad from Staples. Why did I do this? Cos I've noticed my work tensing up a little of late, and I wanted to work on something where I felt I could cut loose, mess about a little, and generally loosen up. And it worked! The paper is barely suitable to wipe one's arse, but I'm doing some of the best work of my life on it. Go, as they say, figure.

So that's fun, isn't it?

Anyway, look out for this, hopefully, early next year. And look out for my co-creator Patrick Keller - dude's going to be HUGE.

D

9 comments:

Deborah McCumiskey said...

Nice work, lad.

Ade Salmon said...

Shitty paper or not - this is a real treat. Love the inclusion of BOOM into the design - becoming a real trademark of your work.:)

A

Dan McDaid said...

Richard - thanks! I hope you don't get shot in the morning.

Adrian - cheers for that! I honestly don't know any other way to really "sell" an explosion on the page. And I love hand-lettered FX!

tomnel said...

What a brilliant solution! and it looks great!

monkeyfeather said...

SERIOUSLY AWESOME work man. GORGEOUS!!!

mattcrap said...

playing around on paper with some real tooth to it can be loads of fun.

I'm glad you've got stuff down the pipe, man

Chris Williams said...

That is one lovely BOOM!
Love the way the bottom of the B follows the arc of his arm. The whole thing just cuts through the building...

and don't even think of getting rid of the cat :) brilliant

paulhd said...

That is some lovely lovliness.
If the cheap paper technique produces this stuff, stick with it!

Dan McDaid said...

Thanks a lot, guys!

Chris - the cat's going nowhere, believe me :)