Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Who Forgets The Elephantmen?

Me, that's who. Not sure why I didn't make a bigger deal of this at the time - maybe because I was in deadline hell with the end of Jersey Gods, or maybe 'cos I didn't want to gazump the issue before it came out - but I contributed a page to Richard Starkings' utterly fantastic Elephantmen. And here it is!



From thumbnail...


...to final piece.

I have to admit, I kind of panicked when it came time to draw this, and I think it shows. Rich has been a hero of mine since I was a nipper, one of the hallowed bullpen at Marvel UK in the eighties, and therefore involved - in one capacity or another - with some of my favourite things. Doctor Who, Transformers, Thundercats... I was even pretty nuts about The Real Ghostbusters for a while. So when it came time to draw something for him, I probably froze up a bit (bear in mind, this issue also featured pages from other industry legends, not least Dave Gibbons, Steve Pugh, Gary Erskine, Dougie Braithwaite and Paul Grist... No pressure, then). And while I'm quite pleased with how this page came out, I really would like another go...

No comments: