Monday, March 17, 2014

Catayst Comix - AN HOUR OF POWER

Did you enjoy Catalyst Comix? I know most of you didn't read it. It's cool. No really. Anyway, it was a pretty good book that I worked on and had a LOT of fun with. There's a collected edition of the series hitting - I believe! - in May, and it's going to be huge. As in, a really enormous object. Possibly too big for most post boxes, if I'm absolutely honest. Here's an Amazon link if you want to pre-order it, it's probably going to be the best book of year. I'm not kidding about that. LINK

And here's a little behind the scenes action FOR YOU! This is an early-ish Frank Wells sketch that I did:


And here's a design for the "Man From the Vortex". Actually, as per Mr Wells, this is a redesign. He had an awesome muscular Chris Warner design before, but we decided to go with something a bit more spectral and ethereal. A real boogeyman figure, something that would haunt Frank's dreams. I think this design was a little influenced by that Doom Patrol villain... I can't remember his name right now. The leader of the Brotherhood of Dada? Anyway, him. I always loved that his eyes didn't work in any meaningful sense, they weren't stuck to his face, they just kind of floated there. So I pinched that:



AND FINALLY: an early design for the Niburu character who destroys the world in issue one. Yes, it's that sort of comic. I did a LOT of different designs for this guy, and I might put them up on the blog at some point. The vague idea I had was something covered with foul black fur, like a spider or a bee. This thing would just be one of the main protuberances of the beast itself. BRRRR


There might be some more of this soon - please stay tuned!

D

2 comments:

Jay said...

I've read every issue and enjoyed it quite a bit. It was nice to read an anthology book again, especially one with all of the different cool art styles. I especially enjoyed your strip, which I thought was good enough to support its own book. You did some really nice work on it.

Dan McDaid said...

Thanks, Jay! I'd love to do more Frank Wells down the line - fingers crossed!